PC running slow is a common problem and reasons can be many. If you are a regular computer user then you know how important is the speed of the machine. Very slow PC is the most frustrating experience for any computer user.
There can be many possible reasons behind a slow PC. You need to diagnose and fix it. There are many tools that gives the real time information about your system. Windows Task Manager is an example. These tools helps us to find out the reason behind the excessive memory or CPU consumption but rarely provides a mechanism to fix that.
AbpMon is a useful freeware program from IARSN that will help you to get the system info and also provides tools to fix that. It is a re-sizable and dock-able toolbar on your desktop for any Windows system.
You can configure alerts which will popup near the Abpmon icon in the systray. For example you can configure alert to display when virtual memory is low, GDI/USER resources is low , too many windows created, too many opened Win32 handles etc to name a few. Abpmon graphically shows the important system information in real time including,
- Total CPU(s), memory (physical, virtual, cache and swap) usage
- Data rates on local disks, network server/client, Dial-Up I/O
- TCP/IP, VPN in/out data rates
- Total number of User/GDI objects (in Windows 2000 or later)
- Free GDI/User (system) resources (in Windows 9x/ME)
- Total number of open Win32 handles (files, events and so on)
- Restart, shutdown the system
- Force restart/shutdown
- Flush file cache
- Free physical operating memory
See the tools context menu of AbpMon.
You can free up the physical memory to some extend when the memory is too low. The tool will try to free up some memory by clearing file cache , by flushing registry cache etc. See below.
Read more about AbpMon and download
Before you go, subscribe to get latest technology articles right in your mailbox!.