How to create or resize hard disk partition in windows 7?
Windows 7 partition or hard drive partition management is quite easy and straightforward. Windows 7 has the in-built “Disk Management Utility” which allows us to manage hard disks like creating new disk volume by partitioning existing volume. You can also shrink and expand disk partitions.
The following step by step guide will help you to easily create partitions, shrink and extend partitions in Windows 7.
Windows 7 Partition:Step By Step Guide to Create or Resize Disk Partition
Access Disk Management Utility
You can access the disk management utility through control panel or from command prompt using “diskmgmt.msc” command. To access the utility from control panel follow below steps.
- Go to Control PanelSystem and Security.
- Click on Create and Format hard disk partitions.
To access the disk management quickly directly, type “diskmgmt.msc” in command prompt or windows start menu search box and hit enter.
Both the above method will open the Windows 7 Disk Management utility. There you can see all the existing hard disk volume information.
Shrink Existing Partition to Create Free Space
Now you need to make some unallocated disk by shrinking existing disk. By shrinking the existing partition you can free up the disk space.Now shrink the existing volume by selecting “Shrink Volume right click context menu.
Create a New Volume (Partition) Using the Free Space
- The system will now check for available disk space and will report the availability as below. Here you can choose the new partition size (The amount of space to shrink in MB). In this window you can also see the maximum possible space, space after shrink and the size you have selected.
- Now the system will shrink an existing disk based on the size you have provided and will create an unallocated disk (Free Space). See below.
- Right click on the new free disk space and choose “New Volume”. This will open a “New simple volume wizard”.
Here you can select the volume size in MB.
- You can assign drive letter of drive path in the next screen.
- Next step is to format the disk. You can assign a volume label to the disk.
After the format the new disk partition will show up.
Extend an Existing Volume or Partition
Similarly to extend a volume you can right click on the drive and click Extend Volume, this will open up the “Extend Volume” wizard. The wizard will guide you in extending the selected volume space based on the available space.
Join Globinch on Social Media
- Turn your Windows 7 Computer Into a Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot 20 comment(s) | 26,797 view(s)
- Search Engines for File Sharing Sites : Rapidshare Search, Megaupload and More 2 comment(s) | 18,490 view(s)
- Google Translate Now supports Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Tamil and Telugu 2 comment(s) | 17,373 view(s)
- Best PDF OCR Tools to Convert Scanned images to Text / Word Documents 4 comment(s) | 13,751 view(s)
- Google Top Searches Today – Hot Google Search Words today 8 comment(s) | 13,529 view(s)
- Globinch Search 0 comment(s) | 10,429 view(s)
- Access Blocked sites, Unblock Restricted Websites 16 comment(s) | 9,473 view(s)
- Password Revealer – How To Reveal- Show Password Behind Asterisks? 1 comment(s) | 8,523 view(s)
- Play Angry Birds Game Free and Offline in Chrome Browser 1 comment(s) | 8,254 view(s)
- Free Online OCR Software to Convert Images Into Searchable PDF, Doc, HTML or Text 2 comment(s) | 8,092 view(s)
- Samsung Galaxy Core Features, Specs, Price
- How to Use Wi-Fi the Secure Way
- 5 Apps to Boost Android Performance
- Building a Smarter Site Using a WordPress Platform
- Samsung Galaxy S IV Smartphone :Summary of All the Radical Innovations
- 5 Killer Tips to Increase Traffic to Your Blog
- Domain Parking to Make Genuine Money Online
- SEO Is Not Dead, But You Need to Upgrade The Process
- A Complete SEO Guide on Using Social Media for Better SERPs
- When Should You Use Geotargeting or Setting Geographic Target in Google Webmaster Tools?