Windows 7 : How to Enable or Disable AutoPlay / AutoRun?
How to turn off autoplay (windows 7 autorun)/turn on autoplay function or stop autoplay in Windows 7? If you use Windows 7 you might have noticed that autoplay not working when you connect a USB drive to the computer.
Windows 7 has introduced key changes to the Autoplay feature to avoid malware attacks. Windows will no longer display the AutoRun task in the AutoPlay dialog for devices that are not removable optical media (CD/DVD). For example a volume device to your computer like a USB flash drive or external hard drive. This is because these devices don’t use a standard file system and AutoPlay cannot browse the contents of these devices to see what types of files they contain.
- Related : Enable Disable Windows Autoplay (XP)
As mentioned in the msdn blog Improvements to AutoPlay “Certain , including the Conficker worm, have started making use of the capabilities of AutoRun to provide a seemingly benign task to people – which masquerades as a Trojan Horse to get malware onto the computer” and “According to the Security Intelligence Report, an enterprise study by Forefront Client Security found that the category of malware that can propagate via AutoRun accounted for 17.7% of infections in the second half of 2008 – the largest single category of malware infections.”
In Windows 7 removing this AutoRun task will help to block attacks from malware programs like Conficker worm. People will still be able to access all of the other AutoPlay tasks that are installed on their computer as seen below.
But you can enable or disable AutoPlay/AutoRun in Windows 7 by following the steps mentioned below. But be aware of the risks that mentioned in the above MSDN blog post. Please use it at your risk.
Enable Disable AutoPlay From Control Panel
- Go to
- At the top of the window you can see a check box labelled “Use Autoplay for all devices“.
- To enable AutoPlay select the check box and click “Save”.
- To disable AutoPlay deselect the check box and click “Save”.
Control Panel -> AutoPlay (Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsAutoPlay)
Control PanelHardware and SoundAutoPlay
Use Local Group Policy Editor – gpedit.msc to enable or disable AutoPlay/ AutoRun
- Click Start and type “gpedit.msc” without quotes and hit Enter key
- In the Local Group Ploicy Editor window Go to Computer Configuration Administrative Templates Windows Components Autoplay Policies
- Right side you can see Policies displayed as below.
- Double click Turn Off AutoPlay policy
- In the new window you will see three radio buttons. Not configured, Enabled and Disabled.
- To Enable Autoplay select the “Disabled” radio button and click OK.
- To Diable Autoplay select the “Enabled” radio button and click OK.
Our Readers Also Searched:
- how to turn on autoplay
- how to turn on autoplay in windows 7
- how to turn on autorun in windows 7
- how do i turn on autoplay
- win 10 autoplay not working
- Turn on Autorun Windows 10
- turn on autoplay
- turn on auto play disable
- turn off autorun on windows 7
- turn autorun on windows 7