Sometimes it is necessary to create new wordpress page templates using wordpress custom field for specific purposes like a search results page. If you want your page to be totally unique, you can add different style elements to it.
So whenever you want to create a new page in wordpress admin page, just select your unique template that suites your need. It is easy to create a custom page template in wordpress. Most of the pages in this blogs are created using custom page templates. For example the Thumbnail Based Post Archives page is based on a custom page template.
Create custom WordPress page template
To create a custom page template , you need a text editor and an FTP tool like FileZilla. Open a new file and add the following as the first element in the page.
1 2 3 4 5
<?php /* Template Name: globinch_ */ ?>
See I have given the template name as “globinch_” . Also the above code should be the first thing in the page. After that you ca add anything you want to display on the page. For example you should require the header elements , the body elements, sidebars and footer etc. Normally the layout looks something similar to the below code block.
1 2 3 4
<?php get_header(); ?> <!-- #content --> <?php get_sidebar(); ?> <?php get_footer(); ?>
Upload custom page template to your server
Once your page is ready you need to upload the template to the server. Using the FTP tool upload it to your themes folder. The destination themes folder should be some thing similar to “/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/<Your-Theme>”
Create a new page using custom page template
After uploading the custom page template successfully you can start using it to create new pages. In the wordpress admin Dashboard, click on “Add New” under the left side “Pages” menu. Under the “Page Attributes” choose the newly created template. See the screen-sot below.
Join Globinch on Social Media
- Turn your Windows 7 Computer Into a Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot 20 comment(s) | 26,440 view(s)
- Search Engines for File Sharing Sites : Rapidshare Search, Megaupload and More 2 comment(s) | 18,455 view(s)
- Google Translate Now supports Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Tamil and Telugu 2 comment(s) | 17,344 view(s)
- Best PDF OCR Tools to Convert Scanned images to Text / Word Documents 4 comment(s) | 13,608 view(s)
- Google Top Searches Today – Hot Google Search Words today 8 comment(s) | 13,496 view(s)
- Globinch Search 0 comment(s) | 10,383 view(s)
- Access Blocked sites, Unblock Restricted Websites 16 comment(s) | 9,453 view(s)
- Password Revealer – How To Reveal- Show Password Behind Asterisks? 1 comment(s) | 8,517 view(s)
- Play Angry Birds Game Free and Offline in Chrome Browser 1 comment(s) | 8,243 view(s)
- Free Online OCR Software to Convert Images Into Searchable PDF, Doc, HTML or Text 2 comment(s) | 8,082 view(s)
- 5 Apps to Boost Android Performance
- Building a Smarter Site Using a WordPress Platform
- Samsung Galaxy S IV Smartphone :Summary of All the Radical Innovations
- 5 Killer Tips to Increase Traffic to Your Blog
- Domain Parking to Make Genuine Money Online
- SEO Is Not Dead, But You Need to Upgrade The Process
- A Complete SEO Guide on Using Social Media for Better SERPs
- When Should You Use Geotargeting or Setting Geographic Target in Google Webmaster Tools?
- How To Optimize Your Google+ Page And Profile For Search Engines
- Find Serial Numbers, Backup Product Keys of Installed Application in Windows