We have plenty of URL Shortener services available. But you cannot configure any of them on your server or provide services from your server. YOURLS does exactly what you need. YOURLS (Your Own URL Shortener) is a GPL URL shortener that you can run it on your own server, publicly or for your own use only. This is a wordpress plugin and if your blog platform is wordpress then you can use thing service.
Read Related Posts:
- How to Use Google goo.gl to Create Short URLs
- Long Hyperlinks to Short: Best URL Shortening Services
The YOURLS plugin also works with popular services such as TinyURL, tr.im, is.gd or bit.ly.You can configure this on the plugin settings page.
One good thing about this service is that you can configure it as the bridge between YOURLS and your Twitter account.When you publish a post or a page, it will use your own YOURLS install to create a short URL for your post and send it to your Twitter account.
The plugin also give you another good feature.It count characters of the title to help you keep under the tweetable 140 char limit.
From the Write screen itself, you can generate short URL using this tool and post to your twitter account.
How to use YOURLS?
- Download the plugin from here.
- Extract and upload to your blog, preserving directory structure.
In The URL Shortener Settings,
- In the settings you can select either your own installed YOURLS or a public service.
- Setup your twitter settings like credentials and when to post and what to post etc..
That is all required. The plugin is ready to use.
Before you go, subscribe to get latest technology articles right in your mailbox!.