SEO friendly pagination is important for content sites which uses pagination to publish lengthy articles. Pagination is important to present lengthy content in a user friendly multi-page format. For example if you are a blogger who writes lengthy articles, then it is very common to use multiple pages to display the content. Splitting the lengthy articles into multiple pages not only keeps the page clean but also helps your readers to navigate and read easily without scrolling all the way down to read the complete article.
But how do you tell Google about the logical sequence of malt page articles? You can make use of rel=”next” and rel=”prev” attribute values of <link> tag to overcome pagination seo issues.
Usually the <link> tag defines the relationship between a document and an external resource. For example we use link tag to link to external style sheets (CSS files).
- ROBOTS tag attribute META NAME=”robots” and CONTENT values Explained
- HTML Meta Tag Generator – Globinch Tools
- Most Important HTML Tag, Meta Tag SEO Tips
- How to use Meta Tag content ‘NOODP’ ,’NODP’ and ‘NOYDIR’ and their SEO significance?
The “rel” attribute of HTML link tag specifies the relationship between the current document and the linked document.
Using rel=”next” and rel=”prev” to hint Pagination to Search Engines
Since link tag specifies the relationship between current document and the linked document the attributes rel=”next” and rel=”prev” gives a strong hint to Google to treat the specified pages as a logical sequence. For example, you have created an article with three pages, page1.html, page2.html, page3.html.
In the first page you can add the following to indicate the next page.
<link rel="next" href="http://www.mysite.com/page2.html">
On the second page you can add links to the first and third page.
<link rel="prev" href="http://www.mysite.com/page1.html"> <link rel="next" href="http://www.mysite.com/page3.html">
And finally in the third page the link should be
<link rel="prev" href="http://www.mysite.com/page2.html">
This will help the search engines to treat your pages as sequence and index them accordingly.
Apart from the above attribute values “rel” attribute of link tag can have many other values. All these values indicate the relationship between the current document and the linked document.
“rel” attribute values of <link> HTML tag
Join Globinch on Social Media
- Turn your Windows 7 Computer Into a Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot 20 comment(s) | 26,792 view(s)
- Search Engines for File Sharing Sites : Rapidshare Search, Megaupload and More 2 comment(s) | 18,489 view(s)
- Google Translate Now supports Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Tamil and Telugu 2 comment(s) | 17,373 view(s)
- Best PDF OCR Tools to Convert Scanned images to Text / Word Documents 4 comment(s) | 13,748 view(s)
- Google Top Searches Today – Hot Google Search Words today 8 comment(s) | 13,529 view(s)
- Globinch Search 0 comment(s) | 10,427 view(s)
- Access Blocked sites, Unblock Restricted Websites 16 comment(s) | 9,473 view(s)
- Password Revealer – How To Reveal- Show Password Behind Asterisks? 1 comment(s) | 8,523 view(s)
- Play Angry Birds Game Free and Offline in Chrome Browser 1 comment(s) | 8,254 view(s)
- Free Online OCR Software to Convert Images Into Searchable PDF, Doc, HTML or Text 2 comment(s) | 8,091 view(s)
- Samsung Galaxy Core Features, Specs, Price
- How to Use Wi-Fi the Secure Way
- 5 Apps to Boost Android Performance
- Building a Smarter Site Using a WordPress Platform
- Samsung Galaxy S IV Smartphone :Summary of All the Radical Innovations
- 5 Killer Tips to Increase Traffic to Your Blog
- Domain Parking to Make Genuine Money Online
- SEO Is Not Dead, But You Need to Upgrade The Process
- A Complete SEO Guide on Using Social Media for Better SERPs
- When Should You Use Geotargeting or Setting Geographic Target in Google Webmaster Tools?